New Service Sign-Up
Requirements & Connection Fees
- Name of applicant
- Valid California ID – Valid California Drivers or Valid California Identification Card issued by the California Department of Motor Vehicles
- Service address
- Date service is to be connected
- Customer's mailing address
- Information to establish credit, such as a social security number, letter of credit from another utility, or a certificate of occupancy for a business
- Other information as the utility may require including, but not limited to, personal reference and employment information
There will be a $10 connection fee for electric service and an $228 connection fee for water service charged to your first bill.
Deposits for Residential & Commercial Customers
Deposits are required in order to establish service, deposits are security for final payment on an account. The deposit for residential service is two and a half times the estimated average monthly bill. The deposit for all other types of service is twice the average monthly bill.
For construction water meters, the deposit required is $1,000. If the meter is returned in working condition, the deposit will be refunded. If the meter is damaged, the deposit will be forfeited.
Customers will be requested to meet the City of Colton's policy regarding the establishment of credit. Customers will be required to:
- Post a deposit in the amount calculated by the Utility Billing Services Division - Deposits can be paid by cash, credit card, ATM, certificate of deposit or surety bond. Deposits must be paid in full prior to service being connected.
- Provide credit information satisfactory to the city -Customer may accomplish this by providing a letter of credit from another electric, water, and/or gas utility provider. You must have been a customer of the utility for at least one year within the past two years, with 12 months of consecutive service at the same address. The letter must state that the customer has had good credit and payment history, with no late payments in the 12-month period, as well as no disconnections for non-payment.
- Deposits may be waived if your Equifax credit score exceeds the minimum required. A fee of $2 will be applied to your account for this service.
Note: The city has the right to determine if the customer has met the requirements for providing credit information satisfactory to the city in establishing credit.